Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In the Beginning(s): Appreciating the Complexity of the Bible


For me, if the Bible doesn't contain answers, I just don't see the point. A person can read the Bible (as I currently am) to learn about the culture that created it, but certainly the Bible is in no way "required reading" to unlock a deeper understand­ing of life. As far as inspiring questions goes, I can think up plenty of questions on my own. I can then turn to the universe around me and look for evidence that answers my questions. When science responds to my queries with something like "we don't know that yet," I can accept that uncertaint­y in my life.

I think that, if left alone, most nonbelieve­rs would react to the Bible much like I now do, with a detached sort of interest, much like the way most people react to Greek mythology. The reason issues of Biblical inerrancy inspire such strong feelings in nonbelieve­rs is that we KNOW the Bible is inconsiste­nt, but we are forced to fight political battles with people who insist that it is not, and that we should all be living by its precepts. Usually, said battle is held with a person who has never actually read the text, and is only selectivel­y quoting parts of it that support their preconceiv­ed notions. I honestly don't care what my neighbor chooses to believe, as far as religion is concerned. I only debate religion when a person is "voting their conscience­" based on a flawed interpreta­tion of a 2000 year old book.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment